Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day Snow

Today is leap day.

And how fitting that we should have a snowstorm today.  A snowstorm on the extra day of the year during the winter where we really haven't had winter.

It's very handy to be signed up for the auto texts from the local tv station when there is no school due to snow(or power outages as we all learned last fall!) or a late start/early dismissal due to weather.

At least it's handy until I got the text this morning at 5:51 a.m. to let me know that our schools would be having an early dismissal due to the snow that was coming during the late morning.

Let me tell you, I had to think really hard about what the text was about this morning. The brain was not quite awake yet.   I was quite confused about getting a text so early in the morning for an early dismissal.

And it took me a few minutes to figure out that no it had not started snowing yet. And no it wasn't a late start.  And yes the girls still had school today.  At least until 1:20 this afternoon.

Phew!  Only then was I able to go back to sleep for another 35 minutes until the alarm went off at 6:30.  And then I snoozed until 7:10.  Ahhh, love that snooze button.

This morning at breakfast we noticed that the birds were already stocking up on seed. The feeders were getting low, Hubby filled both feeders up.  Those birdies really hit the feeders once the snow starts falling.

I took this picture around 3 o'clock this afternoon.  Our feeder is a hot spot for the birds.   I love the snowflakes that you can see in this picture.

While I am oh so ready for spring, this is indeed a nice reminder of how pretty winter can be.

It's fun to watch them all jockey for position.  There were many "fights" over getting inside for seed.  Lots of feathers fluttering.  Again, I love the snow in the background.

I love the little finch on the lower left of the feeder.  Looks like he is just landing.

Pretty birds.  The black bird with the white belly on the bottom was definitely a bit of a bully.  Every time one of the finches made an attempt to get to the feeder near him, he caused quite a flurry of feathers.  He definitely was guarding his spot.

Prior to the snow falling and before picking up the girls from school, Sissy and I ran a few errands.  Of course, we hit a couple of thrift shops while we were out.

Found these mugs at the local Savers.  They are made by Glasbake.  In doing a quick search I discovered that these mugs were made in the early 1960's by Glasbake as a promotion for Lipton Soup.

I love them.  Sissy gave me a great idea of planting small herbs in them and putting them on my kitchen window sill.  That sounds like a fabulous idea.  Perhaps a project for this weekend.

potd #58.  Obviously I love birds.  I like my live birds outside.  I am not a live bird inside the house person.  I found this little guy at Marshall's today.  I couldn't resist. It was love at first sight.  He will be staying inside with me.

4 comments:

  1. I love all the bird pictures! So pretty! That green bird is adorable..excellent find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the bird pics. After I posted I had the thought of "oh no, what if I look like the crazy lady with all the pigeons in Mary Poppins?" But then I talked myself off the ledge and reminded myself while I love birds, I definitely don't like them landing on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love all your bird shots! you have such colorful birds way up on the mountain =] and aren't you glad i convinced you to buy those mugs???? they are adorable. the plates i found for $1 each? selling on etsy for $9.50 each. bonus day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sissy--those plates were a great find! can you believe there is a set of 5 of those mugs selling on ebay for $125! Crazy! We must make the rounds again on Monday =] as long as I am not turning into crazy bird lady, I will keep taking pictures of them!

    ReplyDelete