Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be Mine Valentine

It is very cute to see Valentine's Day through the eyes of my 3rd graders.

They get so excited about bringing Valentine's to their friends at school.  Their excitement started a few weeks ago when they were picking out their valentines.

Sissy brought over a Current catalog that had some really cute valentines.  E picked out some that you make into origami hopping frogs.  Very cute.

D picked out some very cute ones that look like an Iphone/Ipod Touch.  They have flaps on them that you flip up and there are messages underneath.  Messages like the ones you see on the conversation hearts.

We then picked out some cute bouncy balls and some Snoopy bookmarks. We love Snoopy.

Fast forward to last week when our order arrives.  Everything was great.

Then, I took a peak at D's valentines.  And I got really perturbed.

looking at these messages, which one do you think I take issue with?

Yup, you guessed it.  "hot stuff".  Are you kidding me!  They really put that on valentines that are geared toward the under 10 age group.

Because last time I checked, there weren't many teens or adults buying valentines in packages of 24 to hand out to their friends.

I was so distraught.  What was I going to do?  There was no way I could let D give those out.  So, I broached the topic with her of getting different valentines because we couldn't give out valentines with a message that was inappropriate.

Let's just say, that didn't go over well.  There were lots of tears.  And I was in that moment, a mom who was feeling very helpless.

Sissy came over the next day & D showed her the valentines and expressed her distress.  And then, Sissy came to my rescue.

She was brilliant and suggested putting stickers over that message.  Then, D could still hand out her valentines as planned.

Thank you sissy.  Crisis averted.  I am so glad she has more years of parenting experience.

So, last night the girls put their valentines together and were so eager to bring them to school today.

I was lucky enough to get in to E's class today and help the kids decorate bags for their valentines.  The kids had a great time and were very creative.

I love it that even the boys still have fun with Valentine's Day in 3rd grade.  I know that won't last too much longer.  But today, the boys were just as excited to pass out their valentines as the girls.  Love it.
Here are some of the kids' bags all decorated and filled with valentines.

Days like this are days when I want to freeze the girls at 8 1/2.  Moments like today go by so quickly.

As they get older, I treasure these days even more.  Because I know that in a blink of an eye they will be over and they will be grown.

But for now, they are mine.   Love my little valentines.  And hubby's not too shabby either.

potd #43.  E's bag all decorated.  Cute & sweet.  Perfect for Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

  1. love this post! great pics and the way you wrote, i can feel the girls excitement....nicely done, Sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks sissy! I say next year we do valentines....maybe even make our own box!

    ReplyDelete