Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Very Thrifty Day #2

Today, as my Sissy so aptly put it, was a banner day for thrifting!

We had so much fun and went to around 6 thrift/consignment stores.

Sissy & I decided to venture about 35 minutes away to a new thrift store.  It is a ReStore and is run by the people for Habitat for Humanity.

It wasn't quite what we were expecting.

There were lots of big items: kitchen cabinets, sofas, chairs, tubs, lots of windows & doors, dressers, bureaus, desks, lamp fixtures, bed frames, & many other items that would be great for home improvement.

Lots of big stuff.

I have decided that when I decide to venture into one of the headboard projects that I have seen in blog-land and have pinned on Pinterest using a door, then I will go to that ReStore to buy my door.

For $10 a door, I think that's a pretty good deal.  Especially if I screw up the project. Not that that would happen.  No, not me.  I would never, ever mess up a DIY project.

I have also decided that if I really want to get into refinishing furniture, like I am thinking I may want to try at some point, then the ReStore will be a great place to get pieces to refinish.

And then sell.  That's the future plan.  Maybe. We'll see.  As you can tell, I am not sure if I am committed to that idea.  But that's a whole other blog post in itself.

Back to thrifting.

Sissy & I had so much fun.  We were finding things left and right.  And up and down.

We each came home with lots of treasures.

And couldn't stop giggling at one of our stops towards then end of our thrifting adventure.

We have officially decided that we won't be considered hoarders like those on tv in future years as long as our paths are bigger than their paths are.  Makes total sense, right?

A woman in the aisle with us heard us talking & laughing at ourselves and couldn't help laughing too.  As she was picking up her own treasures.

I guarantee you, she was thinking about her own paths.

Sissy & I are quite funny together and usually make friends with complete strangers while out & about.

Take last week for instance.  We stopped at an Italian bakery that Sissy wanted to check out and pick up some treats for a deacons meeting that was being held at her house that night.

While there, we ended up helping the woman in front of us make serious decisions on what type of food to serve at a baby shower she was hosting in the bakery's banquet room that coming weekend.  We helped her decide that chicken parm was the better way to go rather than the pizza that she was thinking of ordering.

She asked our opinion and we were happy to help.  But, these things just fall in our laps.        

We are convinced that we should have our own reality tv show which follows us as we go out together.  But that too is another blog post in itself.

Ok, really back to thrifting now.

We each found one of these amber Orange Crush soda bottles.  The glass is so heavy.

Fire King Jadeite bowl and plate.  I love Fire King Jadeite.  My uncle has the Jadeite coffee mugs at his house on the Cape.  Been there since he bought the house 30 years ago.  I have always loved them.  They are on my list of things to look for when thrifting/tag-saleing.

Limoges saucer.  I just love the flowers.  This will be on my dresser to hold jewelry.  I already love just looking it.

Isn't this old post card from Arizona fantastic?  Hubby has family in Arizona, so I had to buy it!
Back of Arizona postcard.  Sent to Syracuse, NY.  Postmarked 1941.  Love what the postcard says, "Hello Mae, I'm definitely on my way back now.  Not much in this but I'm going thru at 2 in the morning.  Going to stop over at Ada, Okla. for 2 days and then straight on."  Wonderful!

Hotel Lincoln.  New York City.
Postmarked 1943.  Love the "Buy War Savings Bonds and Stamps" stamp.
Back of Hotel  Lincoln postcard.  It says, "Hello!  I am now in a radio broadcasting studio.  I won't tell you what I am listening to until I get home.  But I always listen to it on the radio.  I'm having a better time than I've ever had.  ~Theresa"  Makes me think with all the technology we have, there really is nothing like a handwritten postcard.  Something to think about.

Milk glass candy dish with wonderful cutouts.  I can just picture colored foil wrapped chocolate eggs in this dish.  Yup, off to get some tomorrow.


These are linen postcards made in Germany.  I am planning a "gallery" wall in the kitchen and these will go great mixed in that wall.  I just love them.

So, as you can see it was a great day for thrifting.  And a great day to spend with Sissy.

potd #51.  One of my favorite finds today.  This box is great.  And the idea of a hands free mirror--how funny is that?  I love how it advertises hands free for make-up and hairdo.  






2 comments:

  1. oooh, i forgot about the orange crush bottle! and it looks so pretty on my kitchen window. banner day, sissy, banner day!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the orange crush bottle! can't wait to go thrifting again!

    ReplyDelete