Friday, February 24, 2012

Mysterious White Stuff

We woke up this morning to a mini winter wonderland.

It was very surprising.

It sure is pretty when we haven't had much of it this winter.

Last night going to bed I watched the weather.  I was actually checking to see how warm it was going to be.  See, that's the kind of winter we have had here.

Much to my surprise, they were predicting that we may have a couple inches of snow.  And that it would be falling right at morning commute/bus time.

Then, off to snoozeland I went. Very happily.

And dreaming of the flower gardens at our old house.  It was a wonderful, warm happy dream.

I specifically dreamt of one of my favorite flowers that my neighbor had shared with me.  It is actually an herb, called Feverfew.  It has the prettiest little flowers.  Very daisy-like.  Perfect in summer bouquets.  In mason jars.

See?  Isn't it sweet.  It is absolutely being planted this spring.

So, this morning I wake up to my alarm and hit snooze a few times.  Probably a couple more than I should.  But, it's good wake-up time for me.  I am no longer a "jump right out of bed when the alarm goes off" person.  

Just as I am thinking of getting up, I realize I am not hearing any cars go down our street like usual.  I ask Hubby to open the blind so we can see outside.

And Hubby says, "Whoa!"  Now, I don't have my glasses on so all I see is that there is a good amount of snow that has fallen.

I double check my phone to see if the delay text has come through.  But, it has not. A quick check of the local tv channels' website tells me that there is indeed a 90 minute delay.

Ahhhhhh.  There is really nothing like a delay in the morning.  Just enough time to snuggle the girls longer before getting started for our day.  Breakfast is always eaten leisurely on delay mornings and we are always ready with plenty of time to spare. 

Ahhhhhh.

And a snowfall like this morning really is the perfect snowfall.  Just enough to look pretty & wet enough to stick to the trees.  Just enough for a delay rather than a cancellation.  Just enough to appreciate that it's still winter.  

It really is pretty.

But yet it was not so much that the roads were difficult to travel.  The ground is so warm that the plows came by and the roads were clear and just wet pavement only minutes later. 

It really was the perfect snowfall.  If only they all could fall into this same category.  

Pretty trees

My raised garden beds.  Getting ready to plan this years' garden.

On another note, it was "Snow Creature" making day in E's class today.  The student council holds a contest each winter where each class in grades 3-5 come up with an idea to make a "Snow Creature" aka Snowman.  

After all the "Snow Creatures" are made, there is voting for the best "Snow Creature". They all want to win.  And they all love looking at the other "Snow Creatures" that have been made.  

It is an event all the kids look forward to.  E's class came up with different ideas and finally settled on making a "Snow Creature" with an Angry Birds theme.

Being the parent helper for her class, it was my job to get the supplies and sort of organize the project for the kids.  In making the  "Snow Creature", the class is given 3 circles(just like a snowman) that they are to work with.  The shapes can't be changed.

In the end, the king pig was made using the largest circle, the red bird with the middle circle, and the bomb bird with the smallest circle.

The kids were so excited this afternoon doing this project.  It was great to see them work together.  And, they all came out great!

All finished and drying for the weekend.  They will be assembled into the "Snow Creature" Monday on some background paper.  Boomerangs made from twigs will be used for the arms.

King Pig.  Didn't the kids do a great job?

Red Bird and Bomber Bird.  I think they look fantastic.


I just loved all the kids reactions when we were done.  They had been divided into 3 groups and while working, they didn't always see what the other groups were doing with their particular character.

There was lots of excitement and many declarations of "ours is so gonna win".  We'll see, kids.  I think they came out pretty good, but I am a little biased!

D's class is making a Shrek "Snow Creature".  I will be going in Monday to help her class finish. I got a sneak peak of it today.  And it looks pretty good too.  Exciting!

potd #53.  One of the tiki torches longing for summer nights.  Even a warm spring night would work.


No comments:

Post a Comment