Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cozy Dog

Rainy day today.

Lacrosse practice was cancelled.

Which left us with nothing going on this afternoon.

Low key felt great.

D&E got their homework done.

D showed me all the notes she's taken for a report at school on Hammerhead sharks.

Lots of interesting facts about Hammerhead sharks.

They live in temperate and tropical waters.  How the way their eyes are separated gives them binocular vision. They eat octopus, other sharks, fish, lobsters, and crabs.  The mostly stay in water at least 900 feet.

See, I paid attention.

After watching 2 episodes of Gilligan's Island, D wanted to do some more research on the computer about Hammerhead sharks.

She didn't have to do this for school.  She wanted to do it just because.

That's what she told me when I asked her if she needed to do it for her report.  She told me, "No mom, I just want to do it."

Ok, then.

So, I went to the kids' National Geographic website.

D hard at work taking notes about Hammerhead sharks.

It was actually great for her to do this at home.  We talked some about vocabulary.

There were a few words she didn't understand what they meant.  "Occasionally" and "appropriately" were two of the words we talked about.

We also talked a little bit about her trying to take notes in her own words.  And not writing it down exactly as it was written on the website.

Good things to talk about in a relaxed manner.

Then I started taking pictures of her.  She got annoyed.  I told her she needed to be my muse.

And then I tickled her and she giggled.  And wasn't annoyed with me anymore.

This was also about the time I tried to convince her she shouldn't turn 9 in June. "Just stay 8," I told her.

I tried to convince her that kids can turn cranky once they turn 9 and that 8 is much better.  Don't think she bought that line.

potd #120.  This was how I found Lucy when I went in the family room to check on D&E during an episode of Gilligan's Island.  Think she's a happy dog or what?  D & Lucy are looking pretty cozy if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment