Sunday, May 27, 2012

Decoration Day

Happy Decoration Day.  Did you know that was the original name for Memorial Day?

Monday is a day in which we pause to remember those who have fought and died in our nations' service.

Here is a link to a website that has some wonderful information on the roots of Memorial Day.

It even gives the history of how red poppies became a symbol of veterans.  Very interesting.

One of my favorite patriotic songs is Lee Greenwoods' "God Bless The USA".
And I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.


Today was the annual Memorial Day parade on our small town.  And on a day like today, I am just so happy to live in a small town.


There is just something about people lining our town Green getting ready for a Memorial Day parade.  And it was fun to see some friends also there for the parade.


Love small town living.


D&E posing for a picture.  D was in the middle of eating pretzels.  Hence the funny smile.  Snacks held us over til the start of the parade.


With a small donation, flags were handed out to the crowd.  


Love this car.  And the gentleman riding in the passenger seat is a former British POW from WW II.  And he has been knighted.  He used to come into the bank where I worked before I had the girls.  Such an interesting man.


The Governors' Foot Guard rode in the parade.  I believe our state has the oldest continuous working Governors' Foot Guard.  Over 230 years.  Impressive.


I just love the sound of bagpipes.  


And I love the sound of muskets being shot.  I love living in New England, with all of the Revolutionary War history all around us.


D looking down the road as part of the parade has passed us.  Love the flags that she is holding.  At some point in the parade, they got larger flags from some group that was passing them out.


It was a great parade.  


It felt good to take time out of our busy schedule to go to the parade.  We all decided that it was such a good time that we are going to make it a tradition.


I am thinking we will be making some fun family memories with this new tradition.


potd #146.  This is one of my favorite photos from today.  E in the shadows, waving the flag.  Love the white house in the distance with the flag bunting.  Picturesque.

No comments:

Post a Comment