Monday, May 7, 2012

Back to the Doctor

Not much going on today.

Oh, except the fact that E fell at recess and whacked the back of her head on the pavement.

Right.

Apparently E & D were playing basketball together at recess.  Little bit of sissy one on one.

So, E is trying to steal the ball from D.  And she trips.

Over her own feet.

And falls hard.  Whack on the pavement.  Hits the back of her head.

D finds her teacher(who happens to be out on recess duty).  And D walks E back into the school to the nurses office.

Good Sissy.

E stays in the office for a bit.  Eats most of her lunch.  But still is feeling a little dizzy and her head is hurting a lot.

This is about the point where the nurse calls me.  Can I just say it's the worse thing ever to see the schools phone number come through on my cell/home phone?

It's never a good thing for the school to be calling in the middle of the school day.

After talking to the nurse a bit we decide it's best for me to come get her and take her to the pediatrician to be checked.  She's showing enough signs that it's a "better safe than sorry" instance.

Off to school I go.

I get E.  And call the doctor from the parking lot.  After explaining the situation, they tell me to come right down.

This is the point I try to reach Hubby.  And can't.  And can't.  And can't a few more times.

Long story short for Hubby is that he went for a bike ride at lunch.  Which happened to coincide with me trying to get ahold of him.  Really?!?!

Once at the doctors', we see our pediatrician.  I just love our pediatrician.  He's very calm & reassuring.

He started by asking E all sorts of questions.  At first, E looked at me to answer a particular question.

I said nothing.  And our doctor very sweetly said, "don't look at mom, can you tell me what time you went to recess?"

I knew what he was doing.  Checking to see if she could recount what happened and when it happened.  And she did.

Her pupils were fine.  She wasn't confused.  She never lost consciousness.  She wasn't vomiting.  She ate her lunch in the nurses' office fine.  All good signs.

But, he told me to still watch her.  Make sure nothing changes.  If any symptoms change(vomiting, confusion, head hurting after tomorrow), then I need to call and they need to see her again.

The rest of her afternoon was spent relaxing on the couch.  She seemed to feel ok except for the fact that her head still hurt.

I am really hoping that a good night's sleep will her head.  Really hoping that when she gets up in the morning her head pain is gone.

Just thinking about it, I think I will go check on her while she is sleeping after I finish this blog.  You know, make sure she's breathing and all.

And to give her a little kiss.

These are those days in parenting that are not forgotten.  Even though I know she is most likely fine, I am still a little worried.

Might have to give her two kisses when I go up to see her.

Sweet bunch of Lily of the Valley in my Orange Crush Soda bottle.  I can't even tell you how good this bunch of flowers smell.  So good and sweet.

potd #126.  I just love my little collection of coffee pots.


3 comments:

  1. oh no, poor E! i feel for you - that is one of the worst things to go through as a parent, watching your little one injured and feeling so helpless. what a good sissy D was. you must be happy with all that sissy love between them =]

    p.s you have two of those pots. one needs to come to me =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is nice to see them being so sweet with each other.

    hmmmm, I am sensing a clog for coffee pot trade........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor E! How scary for you. I hate those frantic moments...glad she's ok.

    ReplyDelete