Thursday, May 24, 2012

I Love Lucy

Lucy is our 2 year old Golden Retriever.  She will be 3 in October.

Before we had Lucy, we had Maggie.  Maggie was a sweet dog.  She was 10 when she died.

To say that Hubby and I were devastated the day Maggie died would be an understatement.

She was our first baby.  So to speak.  She was a good dog and I still miss her.

We lasted about a month without a dog in the house.  And it was too quiet and lonely.

I especially missed having a dog in the house when Hubby would travel.  Then, the house was even quieter.

So after a month we, mostly I, started looking for a dog.

I had always wanted a Golden Retriever.  I found some puppies, but they were crazy expensive.

And then one day I was on my way to get D&E at school and I passed by a house that had a sign, "Golden Retriever Puppies for Sale".

I quickly slowed down and wrote the phone number down on a slip of paper.

I called Hubby to tell him and ask him to make the phone call.  Hubby wasn't entirely sure he wanted a Golden, so I had to tell him to just call and find out the info.

Once Hubby called and got the info, he called me back to tell me we were going to go look at the puppies a couple days later.

We talked about it together and decided that if we were going to go look, then chances were that we would be picking out a puppy.

I knew this because when we went to go for Maggie, we were supposedly only going to look.  Well, once I saw her there was no way I was leaving without her.

So for us, going to look at puppies means we will be picking one out to bring home.

Two days later, we go see the cutest 4 week old Golden Retriever puppies.  Seriously cute.

There were 7 of them.  We held each of them.

Finally, Hubby taps me and tells me I should hold the puppy he's been holding. "She's pretty sweet", he said to me.

And I held her and she was sweet.  And oh so cute.  As they all were, but there was just something about her.

And that sweet little pup became our Lucy.

Since she was only 4 weeks old, we had to wait another 4 weeks to bring her home.

We brought the girls to see her.  And they fell instantly in love.

Lucy is a good, sweet dog.  Even when she's getting in trouble tromping off to the swamp.

And she loves shoes.  Ever since we brought her home, she has always loved to lay with our shoes.

Silly dog.

"Don't mind me mom, I am just resting, keeping the shoes safe."

Lucy is just what a Golden should be: gentle, sweet, playful at times, cozy companion.

She has such a rough life.

Snuggling our shoes.  Laying on the couch next to me.  Playing catch.  Getting lots of pets.  Patrolling the kitchen island looking for a treat every now and then.  And sleeping, a lot.

"Do you really need me for something, because I am kind of busy right now."



Clearly Lucy takes her job of protecting our shoes very seriously.

I love her eyes.  

Sweet, sweet dog.  I am so happy that we have such a good family dog. 

D&E just love her to bits.  They love to cuddle with her and she loves to cuddle them.

She is so funny with them.  She watches them and if they start playing, especially with Hubby, Lucy wants to be right in the thick of it.

potd #143.  I love Lucy.

2 comments: