Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Samoas, Thin Mints, & Tagalongs Oh My!

Can you guess what this post is going to be about?

Bingo!

Girl Scout Cookies.  Yum-O.

This is the first year that D & E  are not doing Girl Scouts.  My wallet is thanking me. In past years I have bought a ridiculous amount of cookies just so they could get the "cookie" patch.

Which I never did get ironed onto their vests.  I was a terrible Girl Scout mom.  Let's just say I was not all broken up about it when they decided over the summer that they would give up doing Girl Scouts.

Thankfully, R's daughter S is still a Girl Scout.  So, she was my supplier this cookie season.

And today was delivery day.  Oh happy day!


I was quite excited to get home this afternoon and see the boxes that R had left by my garage.  S was also the supplier to some of my knitting friends.

What does one do when they get their delivery of Thin Mints, Samoas, & Tagalongs?

Why, eat them of course!

D enjoying a Thin Mint.  She went for 1 of each: Thin Mint, Samoa, & Tagalong.

E just about devouring a Samoa.  She went with 2 Samoas & 1 Thin Mint.

She is her mama's daughter.  She would eat a box of Samoas if I let her.

And I have to use ALL of my almost non-existent willpower to not eat a WHOLE box of Samoas.

And that goes for the Thin Mints too.  The Tagalongs are good but they are not my downfall like Sammoas & Thin Mints.

Here's a little tidbit about Girl Scout cookies: there are 2 different companies that make them.  I learned that piece of info from my friend C(of the 5 pump Chai fame).

There is The Little Brownie Bakers and ABC Bakers.

If you are unfamiliar with Samoas(Little Brownie Bakers), you probably know them by Carmel deLites(ABC Bakers).  And Tagalongs(LBB) are known as Peanut Butter Patties(ABC).

A few of the other cookies have different names too, but I don't buy them.

Now, what I did learn on my own tonight from Wikipedia is that Little Brownie Bakers is a subsidiary of Keebler, who is owned by Kellog's.

Which explains to me why Keebler has a couple knock-offs of Thin Mints and Samoas.  Interesting. May have to give those cookies a try during the non-Girl Scout cookie season.

Especially when I an having a craving for a Samoa.  Or a Thin Mint.

potd #65.  My favorites.  Thus, the only ones I buy.  Which Girl Scout cookie is your favorite?


6 comments:

  1. We've tried the Keebler versions of both the Samoas and the Thin Mints. Just as good, if not better! And half the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear sissy! love the 1/2 the price part too!

      Delete
  2. I agree...Keebler puts out a great "Samoa" and "Thin Mint". Our cookies are down in the basement to eat after Lent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there carol!! so glad you commented.....I love comments--they make me happy! I am definitely going to try the Keebler ones now that there are 2 recommendations for them! And boy do you have willpower---there is no way I would last through Lent knowing that they were in my house!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Great one, Christine! We enjoy the knock offs year round and the kids are very happy with them but now I understand their origin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks amy! hope you come back again to visit!

    ReplyDelete