Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Day at the Book Fair

I volunteered at the girls' school today and helped at the book fair.

I love the book fair.  Mainly because I just love books.

There's nothing like the promise of some new books.  The girls love the book fair too.

We stopped on Tuesday after school.  They each picked out a couple new books. And I let them get the super secret UV light pen.  It is pretty cool.  It writes in "invisible" ink and then you shine the mini UV light that is on the cover onto the writing and it "magically" appears.

They have been having a lot of fun playing "spies".  There are a lot of secret notes being written.  And I am constantly being stalked in the house.  They are very funny. They are not very good at being covert.

So, today I helped during the whole afternoon at the book fair.  

I was lucky to be volunteering with a couple other moms who I know very well.  They were great to work with and I am so glad that my friend C knew how to work the cash register.  

I attempted to use it unsuccessfully.  After watching me mess up a couple transactions, you would never believe that in my past life I worked at a bank and managed a drawer with thousands of dollars.  Oh well.  

I blame the cash register.  It couldn't be me.  Nope, definitely couldn't be me.  Ha.

We had 3 classes come to visit and have the opportunity to make purchases or even make a list to bring home to their parents.  With the hopes of being able to come back tomorrow before the book fair closes at 11:30.

The classes that came were 4th & 5th grade.  The 4th graders were pretty good.  For the most part they walked around and looked at books.  They even made lists to bring home.  When it was time, purchases were made and they went back to their classroom.

Then there were the two 5th grade classes.  They weren't horrible.  But they definitely made me wish I really could freeze D&E at 8.

The boys were show-offs.  To each other and to the girls.  They were loud.  And they didn't really look at the books.  Some did, but many did not.  

Ack.  Bleck.  I am not looking forward to 5th grade.

The girls weren't much better.  They weren't quite as showy as the boys, but there was definite attitude.  Ack. Bleck.

Yup, definitely going to work on the freezing machine for D&E.  No turning 9 for them.

If only.

The purchasing was almost comical.  Lots of piggy banks were tapped into.  And we got a lot of sweaty, rolled up $1's/5's/10's.  Most would bring up their books, etc and just hand you the money. 

Not having a clue as to how much they spent.  Most had enough, a few we had to tell they didn't have enough money.  They would decide what they weren't buying and come back to buy what they were keeping.

Then there was the end of the day when anyone could come to buy books.  I can't even tell you how many kids we just pulled out of line, saw what they were buying, took the right amount of money and then said, "quick, go before you miss the bus!"

It was a bit nerve wracking.  I did not want to be responsible for anyone missing their bus because the line was so long.

Something tells me tomorrow is going to be very busy.  Which means the book fair will make lots of money.  Which is always a good thing for out PTO.

I am heading back in the morning to help them close up the fair.  I am sure I will be buying a couple more books.  

I just can't help myself.

potd #87.  Double stuff Oreos.  A downfall.  The girls & I had them for dessert tonight.  D takes hers apart and stacks all the creams into one cookie and dunks the rest of the chocolate cookies.  E takes hers apart, dunks the chocolate cookie parts and then eats all the creams last.  Me?  I just dunk the cookies.  Yum.  How do you eat your Oreos?




No comments:

Post a Comment