Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Remembered Anniversary

June 30, 1940.

That was the day that my Nana & Grampa were married.

72 years ago.

We are blessed to have Nana still with us.  Grampa passed away in 1990.

When Hubby & I were engaged, I was at Nanas' house at Christmas and looked at their wedding picture she has in her living room.

I had not yet gone shopping for my dress.

And suddenly a thought popped into my head.  I wondered if she still had her wedding dress.

So, I asked her.

And she did.  Wrapped in tissue at the bottom of her hope chest.

It was in wonderful condition.

So, then I asked her if I could maybe wear it to get married.

And I was delighted when she said yes.

I found a seamstress that specialized in wedding gown restoration.

And she did an amazing job.

It was restored to perfect condition.

In hemming it, she saved the material that she cut to use to make the headpiece of my veil.

In lowering the neckline, she saved the beading she removed to use on the headpiece.

I am so happy that I wore my Nanas' wedding dress.

I really hope that one of my girls will want to wear it too.

Here is a picture that I have on the wall in my hall leading to the stairs.

The gentleman on the Grampas' left is one of his brothers.  The other gentleman is my Nanas' dad and the woman is Nanas' sister.

Here is Hubby & I on our wedding day.


Here are Nana & Grampa on what looks like their 31st anniversary.  I just love them and love this picture.

They both looks so happy.  I adore my Grampas' smile.

CC Sissy is looking on as well as 2 of my Grampas' sisters.

What a fantastic picture.  I love this umbrella.

Sissy is sitting in between Nana & Grampa.  The woman is Aunt A., Nanas' sister and the sister from the wedding picture above.

I love the way CC Sissy is look up at Nana.  Lots of love there.

Here I am with Nana.  Yes, I was bald.  Very bald.

But, how about that swimming cap on Nana?  Love it!

And that beach ball in the background, love the giant beach ball.  I bought a giant beach ball this year for the girls because I  loved the one Nana & Grampa always had when I was growing up.

I have such great memories from swimming in this pool with my Nana & Grampa.

They always had big cookouts on Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day weekends.  Lots of extended family.

And we swam and swam and swam.

And always had lots of yummy food.  A roast and all the sides for "dinner", which was really lunch.  And we always ate at 1 o'clock.

Then for supper we would have hamburgers and hot dogs.

I miss those cookouts.

I am so glad to have the memories.

potd #180.  Happy Anniversary Nana & Grampa.

4 comments:

  1. What a delightful post with such yummy vintage pictures!!! I'm with you I want that umbrella. How sounder flu to have such lovely family near by. Very cool you wore Nanas dress. It will bring you much good fortune :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI...in the first picture you have, the man to the far right is Nana's dad. Great pictures and great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, fixed!! Tired eyes and in my head I made him to be Uncle R!!!

      Delete