Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Walk In the Garden

As is my routine this time of year, I took a walk through the garden this afternoon.

We have had plenty of rain recently, so watering wasn't necessary today.

Last week and over the weekend we had some great, warm humid weather.

Good garden growing weather.

As my dad says, tomatoes love the warm humid weather.

And boy is he right.

My tomato plants have grown like crazy over the last week.

That makes me happy.

What doesn't make me happy is how my squash and zucchini are growing.

Something is eating them.  I have noticed empty stalks where there used to be a leaf attached to said stalk.  Boo.

And it seems like they are not doing well at all.  Yellowing leaves.

I am quite distressed.

A trip to the garden center is in my near future to see if I can figure out what is going on.

I love tomatoes.  And home grown tomatoes are wonderful.  I also just love the way a tomato plant smells.

Here is one of my squash plants.  See the 2 empty stalks.  Boo.  Could be a bunny. Or maybe a deer.

So excited that the rose bush I got from the girls for Mother's Day is getting ready to bloom.  So many blooms.  And I haven't even planted it yet.  Waiting for the painters to finish the house.

I love this blue flower.  It's an annual that I have planted in a pot.  Hummingbirds are supposed to love it.

Moving the pot up to the deck tomorrow.  Hoping to catch sight of a hummingbird.

Lucy loves this spot out on the deck.  Just outside the slider.

Outside, but close enough to the house so she can hear what's going on in the house.  Nosy dog.

potd #177.  Flowers on one of the tomato plants.  Boy I can't wait till the tomato plants start producing. There is also nothing like a toasted tomato sandwich made with fresh homegrown garden tomatoes, Hellman's mayonnaise and a dash of salt & pepper.  Yum.  And it brings great memories of being a kid and having tomato sandwiches with my mom.  That makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment