Saturday, September 22, 2012

Yearly Get Together

Every year, usually about the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in September, we have a get together with my moms family.

We rotate at whose house we all go to for the party.

My mom had 4 siblings.  She was the oldest.

3 sisters and 1 brother.

Her brother passed away just about 18 years ago.  Maybe.  Time gets fuzzy.

Her mom & dad have both been gone for about 10-12 years.

The age difference between my mom and her youngest sister is 19 years.  Crazy.

My mom was closest to her sister, my Aunt P.  Aunt P is second oldest.

Aunt P married Uncle S.  They met when they were both in the army.  I believe they were stationed in Nebraska.

After getting out of the Army(and were married), they settled close to where she and my mom grew up.

Aunt P and Uncle S have 2 boys.  Here's the tricky part, their 1st names both start with S.  So the oldest will be S1 and the youngest will be S2.

There, that works.

My moms other sister that usually comes to these get togethers is Aunt  J.  She is married to J and her sons are J and M.  Holy moly, there are a lot of Js in that family.

This year we kind of pulled a get together at the last minute.  After having a crazy summer and time flying fast, I didn't get the invites out until just about the end of August.

As it turned out S1 and his family couldn't make it this year.  Aunt J and her family couldn't make it either.

So this year it was Aunt P and Uncle S, along with S2 and his wife T and their daughter C.

Sissy and I also decided to invite my Uncle T and Nana since they know moms' family too.

The weather turned out beautiful today.  Even a bit warm.

Cape Sissy and her family came.  Sissy and her family came.  And my Dad came.

18 of us getting together this year.

And as usual, we had lots of fun.

Lots of good food and many laughs were shared throughout the day.

The kids had fun playing.

Little C is 4.  She is a bright, funny 4 year old.

She even got my nephew J to skip around the yard.

Here are J, D, and C skipping.

E is distracted by a grasshopper.  Niece K is just watching it all.

J is such a great guy.  And yes, at 21 he is a guy.

C just went up to him, grabbed his hand and asked him to skip with her.

And he did.

With a willingness to skip like that, he is going to make a fantastic father someday.

Hopefully that someday is way far into the future.

Mostly because then I will really feel old.  Boo.

J, C, and S2 playing ball with Jack.  Jack is Sissys' dog.

We had a great day.

And we all decided that no matter who can make it in a given year, it is good to keep it going as an annual get together.

Sissy and I made plans with S2 and T for them to come visit for a weekend over the winter.

We'll get Cape Sissy and niece M to come too.

Looking forward to it already!

potd #264.  E with the grasshopper she caught.  He was a quick one.  Kept jumping out of her hands.  I had to be sure to get this picture taken quick.  Got it.  Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment