Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Return Of The Cat

My "year of the cat" took a hiatus for the summer.

See, there was no way with kids home all day, every day would I ever be able to get real organizing done in my house.

I did all I could to not let the normal clutter of life swallow me up.

So, with the new school year having started my "year of the cat" cleaning has commenced again.

I actually started yesterday.

With my spice cabinet.

See, the cabinet was so bad I was afraid to open & close it for fear of something falling on my head.

And not only are there spices in there, but I had a pile of recipes.

Yes, a pile.  Lots of recipes.

Some cut out of the paper, some in recipe cards, and a whole lot of printed recipes.

And not in any kind of order.

So whenever I need a recipe, I would have to sift through the pile until I came across the recipe that I needed.

That's a terrible way of keeping recipes.  I admit it.  The error of my ways.

Yesterday the spice cabinet was cleaned and organized.

And doubles of spices were found.  Like curry.

I really don't cook with curry.  Maybe 1 recipe.  And clearly when I have made that recipe, I can't remember if I have curry at home.

I know this because I had 2 bottles of curry.  Really?

I threw one bottle away.  With no regret.

I also had a couple bottles of cumin.  That one is not so bad.  I have a spice mixture that I make when cooking the Pioneer Womans' Chicken Tortilla Soup.

It's a great spice mixture for baking chicken and using for fajitas as well.  Yum.

Fast forward to today.

I took all of my recipes and went through them.

I recycled lots of recipes that I will never, ever make.

And then I recycled some more.

Finally I am down to my main recipes that I make.  And a few others that I really, really want to try making.

I feel so much better for getting this project done.

Onto the next phase of the project.

I am going through the recipes and pinning them to a Pinterest board that I have titled, "Tried & True Recipes: Our Favorites".

This way I will have most of my recipes at my fingertips on the computer.  And from wherever I am, thanks to my phone of any computer.

Ahhhh.  Recipe organization.  It is making me happy.

Onto my next Year of the Cat project.  The hall closet.  It's a jumble of crafts, candles, batteries, and you name it--it's in there.  Can't wait to organize it.

potd #246.  My pile of recipes.  After all the weeding out of recipes, this is what I am left with.  Makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment