Friday, April 27, 2012

A Step In Time

Today was field trip day for the 3rd grade in town.

We headed to a replica town from the 1830's.

Many of the buildings are original from the time period.

There are all sorts of different houses.  Among the buildings are the sawmill, grist mill, cooper, blacksmith, and potter.  There are barns with animals and houses with gardens.  It's wonderful.

They are from all around and have been moved to create this outdoor "musuem" to show what life was like in the 1830's.

I decided to split my day between the girls' groups.  I was with D's group first, then after awhile I met up with E's group.

Luckily I didn't have to ride on the bus.  I rode with my friend A and a couple other moms who were also going on the trip.

And I have to say after spending 3.5 hours with a bunch of 3rd graders, it's a good thing Bunco is tonight.

I foresee a glass or 2 of wine in my future.

A board being cut at the sawmill.

An oven in one of the kitchen fireplaces.

China being displayed in one of the houses.

D checking out one of the exhibits in a house.

One of the many wooden fences we saw today.  We even saw the "farmers" splitting some logs to make new fencing.  Impressive.

A basket in one of the kitchen gardens we visited.  The sweet woman tending the garden spoke to the kids about what kind of food was grown back in the 1830's.  Lots of root vegetables.  No tomatoes.

Fantastic old chairs.  It was also really interesting to see the very colorful wallpaper on the walls of many of the houses.

I just love the old irons.  I have one of my own that I bought at a flea market years ago.  It's a great doorstop.

Clay jars.  All made at this working museum.  Amazing.

A fire in the house where we learned about how they cooked in the 1830's.


All sorts of barrels, buckets, etc. being made at the cooper's.

A cup being made by the potter on the wheel.  The kids were fascinated.  As was I.

The cup is finished on the wheel.  Now to dry, then off to the kiln.

It was a great day.  It wasn't raining.  Windy, but the sun was out.

Lots of fun and lots of memories were made by the kids.

As I was walking with E's group, one of the boys, L,  said out of nowhere "this is the best field trip ever!" 

 It was so cute and so genuine.  

I took a great picture of him and just want his mom's permission before putting it up on the blog.  He is such a cutie.


potd #116.  It fascinates me to watch the cooper make buckets/barrels.  So cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment