Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Domino Effect

Note:  This post isn't necessarily kid friendly.......

Hubby was out tonight.  He owes me big after tonights' conversation with the girls.

D was in her shower and E was in their room already in her pajamas.

Little did I know the dominos were about to fall.

She told me she had a question to ask me.  And then she proceeds to tell me that she's pretty sure that the Easter Bunny isn't real and that I make the Easter baskets.

Shoot.  Knew this was coming, but was just hoping it wasn't going to come until Christmas time.

So after trying to dodge the question for a minute, she point blank asked me "Is the Easter Bunny real?"

Bleck.  After Sunday, Hubby & I decided that the next time either of the girls asked questions about the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus we would tell them the truth.

Hubby so owes me.

With E looking at me I couldn't not tell her the truth.  And she handled it pretty well.

There were some tears and we talked about how they are not to say anything to any other kids.  She was good with that, understanding that it's for the moms & dads to talk to the kids.

E & I also decided that we would talk to D when she finished her shower.  Which I did and D handled it very well.  She's so practical and analytical.

And then then dominos started to fall.

D was getting her pajamas on when she suddenly looked at me and asked, "This means Santa isn't real, is he?"

Bleck, bleck.  Now Hubby is really going to owe me, I am thinking.

E quickly tried to affirm Santa's realness, through some tears.

Yup, Hubby so owes me.

Again with both of them looking at me, I had to tell them the truth.  That was when the real tears and lots of them came from E.

D handled it well with some tears.  She really is so practical and analytical.  Can't wait to see what she does for work when she grows up.

At this point E was quite upset.  So upset that none of it is real.  I told her even I wished it was real.  Thankfully, they weren't upset at us for carrying on the idea of Santa and the Easter Bunny.

E took her anger out on the tissues she was holding from crying.  I think she ripped about 5 tissues.

Throughout the tears I interjected some humor to help them.  I love that my girls are so quick to smile about something even through tears.

After a few minutes E looked at me through her tears and said, "Now you're going to tell me the tooth fairy isn't real either."

This really wasn't a shocker.  It was coming, just a matter of time for them to figure it out.

What was really funny is the next thing they asked was what I did with their teeth! So I told them I kept them and we went to go look at them  They both thought that was pretty cool.

There were still some tears from E.  She is definitely more sensitive to this kind of thing.  What she is most upset about is why those things can't be real.

I think I handled it fairly well.  I think they did fairly well with their reactions.  Pretty much what I expected from them.

So yeah, Hubby definitely owes me big for handling this talk with them.

As I expected I am so very sad that this part of their childhood is over.  You really do have them for such a short period of time.

As always, these are the moments when I want to freeze them at this age. 

And on the flip side I am looking forward to making some new holiday traditions with them this year at Christmas.  I think with their sweet hearts it will be easy to get them to do some charity to help keep the belief alive for other kids.

potd #99.  Dinner tonight.  Chili.  This is the easiest chili to make ever.  I think that is why they call it Chili Magic.  Because it really is magic.  All you have to do is brown 1lb. hamburger with some chopped onion.  Then you add in a can of diced tomatoes and a can of Chili Magic.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Voila, you have chili.  Top with some cheese, sour cream and scallions,  serve with cornbread.  Yum.  D&E love it too.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Christine! What a night! Having been there with one, and dreading going through it with another, I feel for you! Hope everyone is feeling better this morning and your husband definitely owes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! It's these moments that make parenthood hard. I do have to say that I am glad that I got 2 done in one night. Today was a better day, though there were still some tears from E. She's my emotional one! I am sure tomorrow will be even better.

      Delete
  2. o.k. I may or may not be pms but you had me in tears with this post and i have already been thru this with Ryan. Oh what a night!!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitwits enjoyed hearing the story. They all asked whether you were crying along with the girls after the big Santa Claus reveal and I told them, "No, she was trying not to show her laughter!"

    Bittersweet moments. That's what parenthood is filled with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing with the Knitwits, Sissy! Hopefully it was a proper excuse for not going to knitting tonight! E still had some tears this afternoon/evening. Hoping tomorrow is better!

      Delete