Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Geared Up

E was so excited to play goalie tonight at lacrosse practice.

She talked to me about it this morning when she woke up.

She talked about it at breakfast.

She talked about it on the drive to school.

She talked about it at school when I picked the girls up this afternoon.

She talked about it on the drive home from school.

She talked about it when we got home.

She talked about it at dinner.

She talked about it on the way to lacrosse.

Think she was excited?  Think she likes to talk?

If you answered yes to both questions, you get a gold star!

I was so glad to finally get to lacrosse so she could actually get the gear on and play.

Yes, that is actually E under all that gear.

Her only complaint after practice tonight was that the gloves were smelly.

E attempting to block a shot.  I can't remember if she got this one or not.  I was busy taking pictures.

Getting some goalie instruction from K, her coach.  K does a great job with the girls.

D taking a shot on E.

In the beginning of practice, K had the girls line up and take turns shooting on the goalie.  E did a pretty good job at making some stops.  Some got by her, but she stopped a bunch too.

After practicing for a bit, K had them play a little scrimmage.

E played goalie.

At one point in the scrimmage, E's friend M(who also happens to be K's daughter) took a shot at goal and E attempted to stop it.

Well, she stopped it alright.  With her forearm.  The only part of her body not covered with pads of some sort.

Ouch.  Those of us on the sideline could hear the thump as the ball hit E.  Ouch.

K and the girls other coach J went over to see if she was ok.  I watched.

The helmet came off and I could see them looking her over and checking to see what exactly got hit.

Perfect time for a water break.

E was, for the most part, fine.  She came walking off the field with some tears.  I could tell she was trying to hold it together.

She came over for a little mommy reassurance.  I told her it was a hard hit.  She seemed to be recovering, so I urged her to get a drink of water.

K was there at the sideline too.  She said that she had asked E if she wanted to come out as goalie.

E's response?  No, I want to go back in.  Thatta girl, E.  Climb right back in the saddle.

So, she went back in and did great the rest of the practice.

Tonight when we got home she was checking her forearm out.  Already wondering when the bruise will come out.  I am thinking she wants to have a "battle" wound to be able to show Hubby.

And then I joked with her that even though she got hit & it hurt, she did what she was supposed to do as goalie: stop the ball.  She giggled.

And she said, "You're right mom, I took one for the team!" and held up her forearm proudly.

Funny E.  Something tells me she's going to want to try goalie again.

potd #92.  E, all geared up as goalie.  I love that you can see her pink mouthguard sticking out of her mouth.


2 comments:

  1. Great job E! I love "take one for the Team!"
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did great. I guess I was too busy socializing when she got hit. That really hurts. But so proud of her for sucking it up and staying with it!

    ReplyDelete