Friday, April 20, 2012

Feel Better

Isn't it funny how things happen to the kids when the mom isn't around?

Hubby took the day off today.  Which was great.

The girls and him made plans to go back to the rock climbing gym while I went to get my nails done.

And then we made plans to meet up at one of our favorite burger places for lunch. We were also meeting my mil for lunch too.

I will back the story up just a bit.

Yesterday when we were outside, E was wanting to take a stick and do some whittling with her Swiss Army knife.  She was wanting to make it shaped into a point, like an arrow.

Hubby had bought the girls' each a Swiss Army knife for Christmas.  We hold on to them and they know they are not allowed to use it without adult supervision.

Thankfully my girls are rule followers.

So, I told E yesterday no way.  I told her that she needed to wait until Hubby was home and that he would show her what to do.  She was good with that.

Fast forward to this morning.

E asked Hubby if he would show her how to do the whittling with her Swiss Army knife.  Hubby was happy to show her.

As I was leaving for my nail appointment, all was good.  D was finishing her piano practice.  E and Hubby were outside starting their whittling.

Fast forward to me meeting Hubby and the girls for lunch.

As I get out of my car and walk up to them I can see E has a look on her face.  Kind of a smile and kind of a "something's up" look.

I innocently ask how rock climbing went.

And that's when the story comes out.

They didn't make it to rock climbing.

"How come?" I ask.

And then E holds up her pointer finger on her right hand.  Her bandaged pointer finger.

When they were whittling, something happened and the knife slipped a bit.  And E cut her finger.

Thankfully not too bad.  No stitches needed.  Barely.

I am assured by both E and Hubby that she is fine.

Hmmmm.  Not so sure about this.

Hubby assures me she is fine.  And that it's not a bad cut.  And that E now has a greater appreciation for the Swiss Army knife.

Well, she better or there will be no more Swiss Army knife for E.

By the end of today, her finger was feeling even better.  Healing nicely.

She'll have a good scar.  And a story to tell.  That's what scars are all about, right? The stories that go with them.

potd #109.  This lego "Feel Better" sign has been in our house for almost a year and a half.  E made it for D when D shut her finger in the car door.  To say the least, D was very sad/upset that day.

E very quietly went in the basement where the legos are and made this for her.  I love that she misspelled better.

It was such a sweet gesture, I couldn't bring myself to take it apart.  So, we keep it. And whenever anyone is feeling sad, sick, or hurt one of the girls will go get the "Feel Better" sign.

Today as Hubby was helping E and getting her settled, D rushed off to the hall table to get the "Feel Better" sign for E.  Sweet sissy love.


No comments:

Post a Comment