Thursday, November 8, 2012

Home From Rockaway

Hubby got home today from Rockaway Queens today.

Here is what he wrote on Facebook tonight:

Imagine the storm we had last year when most of us were without power for 5-10 days...now imagine your basement filled with water, most of your possessions are lost, including all your family pictures. Maybe you lost your wedding dress...or
 your mother's wedding dress, or your father's military uniform.

Across the street your neighbor’s house has burned to the ground.

You have no heat, no car, no gas and no real hope for improving conditions. In fact, the weather is getting worse, there is a snow storm coming and it’s cold...very very cold.

This is what it's like for the people of Rockaway Queens.

Things I saw...

-Hundred of abandoned cars. Damaged by water beyond repair and left on the side of the road.

-Boats in the middle of the road

-Sand everywhere. Wet...dirty sand.

-Burned down homes

-2 generators. One generator was powering 6 homes. Extension cords everywhere.

-15 foot high piles of debris out in front of homes. Carpeting, furniture, and other belongings destroyed by water.

-An elderly woman walking down the street with an umbrella. I asked her if she was ok and where she was going. She said to the store. I had to tell her there was no store. I’m hopeful she’s ok and decided to go to the shelter. She didn’t want to leave her home.

Things I didn’t see...

-The Red Cross

-A thousand National Guard members. I saw about 10. They were awesome guys...but they need a thousand there...maybe more.

-Lights. It gets dark at night. It’s scary.

Things that amazed me...

-Hundreds of volunteers working together as teams to help thousands of people in need.

-Lines of 50+ volunteers moving bags of clothing, water and other supplies to and from box trucks. Doing this in the rain, mud and cold.

-Experienced volunteers providing needed leadership and making the impossible seem possible.

-Garbage trucks and sanitary crews working non-stop. Seemed like there was always a garbage truck near by.

-A single woman who made sure the restrooms were clean all day. They were spotless.

-A guy with a grill, hotdogs and hamburgers. Hot food was a treat yesterday.
Smiles. Smiles from the people receiving aid...and smiles from all the volunteers.

I would like to thank everyone for their generosity over the last few days. Your donations were greatly appreciated and had an immediate impact on the lives of the many. 


We will be keeping in touch with our good friend M to see what more we can do to help over the next weeks.

Maybe even months.

When Hubby was relaying the story of the elderly woman he met on the street with the umbrella, my heart felt so very heavy.

I am hoping that more help is on the way for Rockaway soon.

On another note, Sissy & I went to the movies tonight.

We went to go see Flight with Denzel Washington.

It was excellent.  And Denzel is such a great actor.  Love him.

I will say after seeing the movie I will be having a conversation about it with my friend S who is a pilot and K who is a flight attendant.

Or maybe I won't have that conversation.

I may never fly again if I do.

But I will probably ask them some questions about what I saw in the movie.

Good movie.  Fun night with Sissy.


potd #311.  It was a Chai kind of day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment