Monday, November 5, 2012

Generosity

Hubby decided yesterday that he was going to collect donations to bring to Rockaway, Queens.

He is going on Wednesday.

We have a couple of very good friends, M & S, who live in NYC.  They are in fact cousins.

M has volunteered with Alison Thompsons' group in Haiti.

He went about 18 months ago.  It was quite an experience for him.

And now with Hurricane Sandy having hit so close to home, M has once again stepped up and is volunteering to help.

The group that Hubby(and consequently M) is working with is Alison Thompsons' volunteer group, The Third Wave.

This morning Hubby put out a call for donations on his Facebook page.

I, of course, shared it with my group of Facebook friends.

And by the end of the day I had quite a few people saying that they would be bringing things by the house.

By the time I got home with the girls from piano, I had 4 friends drop off various bags of clothing and food for Hubby to take on Wednesday.

Amazing.

And we had an old high school friend collect money at work and then go out tonight and buy food and various cleaning supplies and toiletry items.

Amazing.

Boxes lining one wall in our dining room.

The quick generosity of my friends is truly touching.

And it reminds me of how lucky I am to live in a community that is so willing to give.

Thank you to all who have brought things to the house.

And thank you to those who I know are bringing things tomorrow.

These are the times that I am also reminded, what happens matters.

I am so happy Hubby has decided to make this trip to Queens.

It has been a wonderful teaching moment for D&E as they have watched the items come into the house.

potd #308.  Just some of the donations that were dropped at the house tonight.  Amazing.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment