Thursday, November 1, 2012

Call Me Martha

I make homemade vanilla.

So yes, go ahead and call me Martha.  As in Martha Stewart.

I have been making it for about 12 years.

I used to work at a small bank.

One Friday, I was talking to the CEOs' secretary.  Small talk.

I asked her what she was doing over the weekend.

And she tells me that she is making jars of homemade vanilla to give as gifts over the holidays.

"What?",  I remember asking.

She then went on to explain to me how she makes homemade vanilla.

So very simple.

2 ingredients:
1 vanilla bean, split down the center
1 cup vodka

That's it.

After pouring the vodka over the vanilla bean which is in a small jar/bottle, you let it sit for 30 days in a darkened cabinet.  

And voila!  Homemade vanilla ready to be used for baking, etc.

We are lucky enough to have a spice shop a couple towns from us that sells whole vanilla beans.

Each year around this time, Sissy & I split a package of vanilla beans so that we each can make about 18 jars of vanilla.

That gives me just about enough to use for myself and to give as gifts throughout the year.

Here is one of the jars all done.  

Because the vodka is clear, you can't really see it.

But, trust me, its there.

And in 30 days it will look a beautiful color of amber brown.  

Just what vanilla should look like.

And it makes wonderful gifts.

And I have to say everyone is pretty darn impressed when you tell them that you made it yourself.

Yup, nothing like being a little Martha-like and making your own vanilla extract.

potd #304.  Here is a top view of some of the jars that I made tonight.  I had not added the vodka at this point, so it's just the split vanilla bean in the jar.  I love using the small 8oz canning jars.  They are just the perfect size.  And they are pretty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment