Monday, February 4, 2013

Ice-y

We went ice fishing yesterday.

It was so much fun.

We went with Sissy and her family.  Plus a couple friends of J's and K's.

My bil's family has owned land in a not too faraway town since around the Revolutionary War, I believe.

There is a large pond on part of the land that they still own.  With a cabin.

It's an absolutely fantastic place to ice fish.

There's just enough parts outside on the ice mixed in with enough parts of being warm in a cabin to make it a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

The cabin.  Isn't it great?

On the ice.  It was good ice.

It had warmed up a few days before and then we got lots of rain.

Then it got cold.

That made for great ice.  The dusting of snow Saturday night added just the right traction.

Which was needed.

Otherwise, I may have killed myself slipping on the ice.

I just love the look of the open ice on the pond.

E ready to dig a whole with the ice auger.

D scooping out the ice to help clear a fishing whole.

E with a bass that was caught from nephew J's ice holes.

There was a little competition between J, my bil, and J's friend--also a J.

I think J may have won the most fish caught yesterday.  I think.

D with the bass too.

She was a bit nervous to hold it all by herself.

But she did it.

A snow angel.  Made by D.

That's the best part of ice fishing.

There's always other things to do while you're waiting for a tip-up.

The girls even got some skating in on the ice.

They said they loved skating on the open ice.

Looking inside the cabin from the front door.

This is the "living" area.

That wood stove keeps the cabin nice and toasty warm.

And we cook on top of it!

Cooking.

Chili in the small pot for hot dogs.  And taco soup in the big pot.

Everything was yummy.

View of the cabin from the ice.

The girls trying to push/pull my bil across the ice.

It was very comical.

Especially with my bil yelling, "Faster!  Faster!"

Surprisingly, they made it way farther than I ever thought they would go.


Lucy had so much fun running and running on the ice.

She was funny to watch as she would try to stop.

Couldn't quite come to a fast stop.

Let's just say she did a lot of sliding across the ice too.

And yet, she kept running.

She especially liked chasing Hubby across the ice when he was skating.

Once we got home, she was exhausted.

Laid on the kitchen floor and fell asleep.

She didn't even move when I started to make beef stew.

She was one tired dog.

Cute D with Lucy.

I just love that hat on D.  Too cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment